15 Aug 2015

The Famous Spiegeltent

At present "TheTaranaki International Arts Festival" is running from 13-30th August. One of the venues for shows is The Famous Spiegeltent, described in the advertising as one of the most beautiful venues in the world.

The most beautiful of the last remaining Belgian Spiegeltents, The Famous Spiegeltent, was built in 1920 by master craftsmen Oscar Mols Dom and Loius Goor. Since Marlene Dietrich sang Falling In Love Again on The Famous Spiegeltent stage in the 1930s, its magic mirrors have reflected thousands of images of artists, audiences and exotic gatherings.

Today I decided that as the Spiegeltent is so intricate and covered in detailed drawings I would only sketch a part of it and use watercolour pencils. That way I would have more control of my image. I was drawn to the reflection of the trees on Devon Street in the glass doors and the glimmer of some small mirrors that could be seen inside.

Here is my sketch:



And here are some photos:





No comments:

Post a Comment