In 1905 a Ladies bathing shed with tea rooms attached was constructed for 68 pounds. It sent the Recreation Grounds Board well into overdraft. The original land was purchased in 1876 and was called "The Rec". Only in 1907 was the term Pukekura Park used, named after the stream which had been dammed to form the lake. Pukekura meaning "Red Hill".
In 1931 the tea rooms were removed and a new tea kiosk constructed.
A steady stream of ice-cream purchasers queued up at the counter.